I'm a Producer for Sound Opinions, a rock 'n' roll talk show hosted by critics Greg Kot and Jim DeRogatis, from WBEZ Chicago. In Chicago, you can hear the show on 91.5 FM Fridays at 8 p.m. and Saturdays at 2 and 11 p.m. Sound Opinions is also distributed nationally to radio stations by PRX and is available as a podcast.
Highlights of Recent Features I've Produced
- Pet Sounds — Classic Album Dissection of The Beach Boys' masterpiece.
- Rock & the Environment — exploring music's ecological impact with environmentalist Bill McKibbon.
- Rush — Canada's finest prog-rock trio.
- Spooner Oldham — the great keyboardist and songwriter on working at Muscle Shoals.
- Ernie Isley — an interview with the legendary Isley Brothers guitarist.
- 50 Years of The Grateful Dead — reassessing the Dead's legacy.
- The Life and Music of BB King — remembering the guitarist with blues scholar Dick Waterman.
- Rock Fan's Guide to Jazz — offering potential entry points into jazz for a rock listener.
- World Tour: Cuba — an introduction to the island nation's musical history in honor of the thaw in diplomatic relations.
I also serve as Music Literacy Coordinator and DJ for CHIRP Radio. You can hear me playing music and audio ephemera Tuesday nights from 10 p.m. to midnight Central Time. CHIRP is a volunteer-driven community radio station based in Chicago. It currently streams online at chirpradio.org, but will begin broadcasting this fall as a low-power FM station at 107.1 on the north side of Chicago.