I'm a Producer for Sound Opinions, a discussion show about music rosted by critics Greg Kot and Jim DeRogatis, from WBEZ Chicago. In Chicago, you can hear the show on 91.5 FM Fridays at 8 p.m. and Saturdays at 2 and 11 p.m. Sound Opinions is also distributed nationally to radio stations by PRX and is available as a podcast.
Highlights of Recent Features I've Produced
- C.W. McCall's "Convoy" — I report on the strange story of C.W. McCall's novelty trucker hit "Convoy," involving hamburger buns, conflict in the Middle East, labor unrest, and Christmas music.
- Billy Bragg on Skiffle — My interview with Billy Bragg about how the short-lived 1950s British craze shaped modern pop music.
- Rickenbacker Electric 12-String Guitar — the history of the iconic instrument's use, from The Beatles to jangle pop and beyond.
- Mavis Staples — an hour-long restropective with the Civil Rights icon and gospel legend.
- World Tour: Brazil — an introduction to Brazil's musical history, focusing on the crucial decade of 1958-1968.
- Pet Sounds — Classic Album Dissection of The Beach Boys' masterpiece.
- Rock & the Environment — exploring music's ecological impact with environmentalist Bill McKibben.
I also serve as Music Literacy Coordinator and DJ for CHIRP Radio. CHIRP is a volunteer-driven community radio station based in Chicago. It currently streams online at chirpradio.org, but will begin broadcasting soon as a low-power FM station at 107.1 on the north side of Chicago.